Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Cheesy Spaghetti Squash "Lasagna"

Do you smell what The Rock is cook...oh wait...I got a little excited. I made this bubbly, delicious lasagna goodness for Meatless Monday and I wish you could smell your screen!
(Go ahead and try to smell it...while your at it, tap the "share" button with your nose)


I was craving lasagna, but didn't want all those carbs that pasta has. So I used spaghetti squash in place of noodles. And it was delicious!!


This fits perfectly in my 8x8 baking dish. So if you're using a 9x13 or bigger, I suggest doubling the recipe.


INGREDIENTS:

1 small-medium spaghetti squash, cooked  (see below)
Marinara sauce, 25 oz jar (my favorite is Mezzetta Homemade Tomato & Basil)
Fat free ricotta cheese, 15 oz container
Mozzarella cheese, about 8 oz (I used fresh, all natural and cut it into chucks instead of shredded)
Fresh basil, roughly chopped
@FlavorGod #pizza, optional

DIRECTIONS:

You're basically going to layer this as though you're making lasagna, but instead of pasta noodles, you're using cooked spaghetti squash strands. This is also delicious with meat sauce... ;-)
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
  2. Add a little marinara to the bottom of your baking dish - this keeps the squash from sticking.
  3. Layer half the squash, half the ricotta, half mozzarella, chopped basil (to taste), and half of the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Pizza Seasoning or crushed red peppers if you'd like to add some "kick". 
  4. Repeat the layers. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if you'd like. 
  5. Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
BTW - I don't fully "spread" the ricotta cheese like I do with pasta noodles, but enough that it's evenly distributed.


 Click here to view How-To video on my Instagram





Mezzetta has become the sauce I love and use when I don't have the time to make my own sauce. 
I found it at Albertson's.

  

FlavorGod seasonings are my personal favorite - they're only sold online at www.FlavorGod.com
Pizza is limited-edition and no guarantee it's currently for sale on their website. 






1 comment: