Monday, June 1, 2015

Homemade Clean Eating BBQ Sauce

I made this BBQ sauce last night and it's delicious!!  Plus, it's healthier and doesn't have the added sugars and preservatives the pre-bottled sauces have. I'm excited for grilling season!



Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5-7 minutes
Makes approximately 1 1/2 cups


INGREDIENTS:

6 oz can Tomato Paste
9 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
6 TBSP Pure Maple Syrup
6 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
1 clove Garlic, minced
3 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan Salt
1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (more if you like spicy!)
6 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup water

DIRECTIONS:
  • Whisk above ingredients in order (top to bottom), whisking in water last, in a small to medium saucepan. 
  • Over medium heat, bring the sauce to a boil. Boil for approximately 3-4 minutes. 
  • Remove from heat and let cool. 
  • Store in the fridge.

Simple ingredients. Yummy and healthy BBQ Sauce.


The sauce before I put it in the saucepan and whisked in the water. 


OOPS! I failed to take an "after" picture of all the sauce once it was all done. I use BBQ sauce in place of salad dressing often. So here's a picture of my lunch today. I can't wait to eat it! 

Mixed greens with BBQ Chicken, grilled red peppers, tomatillos, tomatoes, whole kernel corn, avocado, & cilantro.   Clean Eating Grilled Chicken Recipe HERE


This makes a decent size batch and more than plenty for a single person! So I divided it into three containers: one for the fridge to use now, and two for the freezer.
(This is my first time freezing it, so I'll keep you posted on how it freezes.)





1 comment: