Tuesday, January 27, 2015

But I don't want to be addicted...

Eat better, feel better. It seems easy, right?!

But what we don't realize is that we are addicted to bad food and it might be harder than we think to simply eat better.

Junk Food Addiction May Be Real— In a study of rats, the more fattening foods they ate, the more they wanted. (I read this in Business Week, so that's how I know it's legit.)


Over the holidays, I fell away from eating well. I started eating crappier and crappier. I wanted to eat better, but I just couldn't find my motivation to get away from the crappy food. I wasn't taking care of myself.  I was depressed.  I knew I was overweight, but it was "real" when I had a doctor's appointment. The nurse weighed me and I looked at the scale. I was at my highest weight ever. The nurse was nice and gently mentioned I was overweight. She also handed me a pamphlet on weight, portion control, and calories/nutrition. I'll be honest; I teared up a bit.

I thought I could just give up the junk food and not have the cravings. That didn't happen. IF I prepped my food at the beginning of the week, I'd eat decent all day, but then get home at night and be too tired do anything. I'd end up just grabbing whatever I had in the house (and it was never healthy) and sitting on the couch. For those weekdays I didn't prep my food, I would grab lunch with the guys in my office. I would want to order healthy, but end up ordering something that sounded good, and another night being too tired to do anything once I got home from work.

I was getting nowhere. Something needed to change.

January 1st was around the corner and I was thinking of New Year's Resolutions. I didn't want to wait for fear of putting it off any longer.  Payday was on December 26th. I went grocery shopping and planned my food for the week.

I was talking with a friend the other day and I mentioned that I was trying to eat healthier and take car of myself. She told me she was running an online challenge group and invited me to join. BEST THING EVER!  Being part of an online community that was positive and motivational felt great! Plus, I get to be as "quiet" or as "loud" as I want to be. It's all up to me.

Once I started drinking my shakes every day and being accountable, I actually noticed a change. I don't have my afternoon sweet cravings and I have energy to actually do things when I get home from work, like workout! And I've even dropped a few pounds. BONUS!

It's day 25 of consecutively drinking my shakes and my goal is to drink one a day for the rest of the year!

For the month of February, I'm going to have my own challenge group.  I've already invited a few friends and they're excited to join!  If you'd like to join, let me know. The more the merrier!




No comments:

Post a Comment