Thursday, February 19, 2015

Chicken and Vegetables in Peanut Sauce

Have you ever found a recipe that sounded amazing when you found it?  In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't go recipe hunting when I'm hungry.  I find a lot of recipes that sound good... 

Well, I found this recipe the other day.  It caught my attention and decided to try it.  I needed another recipe for my weekly meals. 
  • Chicken = good. 
  • Sweet potatoes = good.  
  • Red bell peppers = good. 
  • Turnips = okay.  
  • Peanut butter = YUM!  
  • Spicy = LOVE IT!  
  • Super easy = AWESOME!
So the other night I tried this.  I'm not an amazing cook, but I know how to follow a recipe and what I make usually comes out deliciously.  

So what do you think? Was it the recipe or did this just sound weird??  
(btw - like my dad and brother, I enjoy experimenting with flavors...)

For the record, this isn't horrible.  It just wasn't as delicious as I was imagining.... 

CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES IN PEANUT SAUCE
This is what it's supposed to look like:

I wish I could remember where I got this recipe....


Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Slow-cook Time: 8 hours
Servings: 6 servings


INGREDIENTS:
1 cup all natural creamy peanut butter
2 cups water
4 1/2 to 5 1/2 lb chicken pieces such as drumsticks, thighs, and breast halves
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, with juice
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
2 teaspoons salt
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 medium turnips, cut into 1-inch pieced
1 lb spinach, coarse stems discarded
Cooked white rice


DIRECTIONS:

  • Place everything, except the spinach, in the slow cooker for 7 hours on low.
  • Add spinach and cook for one more hour on low.
  • Enjoy with a side of rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment